Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Senseless in Heaven

Senseless in Heaven

by Daniel Noll

I only hope that;

If the Devil has a domicile

and Hell be it and not a myth,

If I'm to dwell in the upper realms

I'd rather not know

What lies down below, and hope

That along with wings

And celestial things

Eternity comes with

A perfect forgetting

I only hope that:

If Gods nature be specific enough

To allocate itself a space for us

And Heaven be it's name

And if I, in Christ,with faith

Enough, did trust,

To get myself there

And through that hard door

And meet my old friends

That we never recall

This frail time and all

It's simple perversions.

I only hope that

If all we who've lived, survive

and death is just a passage

To another form of space and life.

If Justice more than mercy screams

In this whole vast scheme

And Hell is not a dream

I hope I dwell above

With God in all His love

With imperfect hearing

I'd rather not hear the Angels singing

If my ears are not deaf

To Hells raucus grieving.

I only hope that;

If some fair space is set apart

and Grace bestows me my fair share

for having played the game

within the bounds and kept the rules,

that I can, amidst all the glitter of that bright sky,

Bring the lids down on these moist eyes.

For I would rather blindly stumble on golden curbs

See nothing or even rust prefer

To gold, then peeking over heavens wall

See a wide-eyed image of old friends writhing

Or loved ones burning.


I only hope that

If, with my nose, I need to breathe to pray

That the wind that carry scent away

That makes a memory

Of the blooms bouquet

Blows that memory another way

Or comes scentless to my nose

Than take the chance of smelling smoke

From someone I might know

On fire down below.


So, if I, senseless, in Heaven, must abide

to tolerate the joy and glory of it all

If angels must lead me from show to show

And if of heaven all I know

Be a fingers touch

I'll at least not regret nor feel sorrow

Though I may wonder

When I come on Heavens door

just what it might be there for.

1 comment:

Daniel Noll said...

Growing up Evangelical Fundamental Christian I have always been left wondering how the whole after your dead existance thing would actually work itself out, what with judgment, the devil, Heaven and Hell, eternal fire where "the worm dieth not" and all that. "Worms" in Hell? What could a worm have possibly done? Anyway, more to the point, the question addressed in this poem is the level of awareness and/or concern by those who enter heavens gate regarding the fate of loved ones who don't "make it". I've got some close relatives and friends who I am quite certain don't fit into the category "SAVED". That being the case their fate seems destined to be eternal damnation with all that existence entails. If I do "make it" through Heavens door, how will I deal with the fact that my loved one didn't make it and accordingly would be somewhere in some space/time continuum experienccing eternal damnation.
A "perfect forgetting" doesn't sound right. Maybe I just won't care, but that doesn't ring true. Perhaps our enlightened self will understand perfectly the "Eternal Justice" of it and let it go at that. That sounds a lot like saying "they got what they deserved" and so it won't bother me" which somehow does not ring true either.
Perhaps the writers of the Holy Book took some liberties with the inspired text they were receiving. They were writers after all, and I'm certain the creative impulse was somewhat stymied by the fact they were just taking dictation. What could a little eleaboration hurt?
At any rate, those are the types of speculations that gave rise to th poem.